More than 80 percent of North Americans begin their morning with a cup of coffee. For most of us, this beverage is something that gets the motor running and allows us to perform our daily tasks more easily.
But sometimes, drinking straight coffee first thing in the morning can lead to stomach irritability, jitters, and crash. For that reason, we strongly recommend you to add a few items to it and make that caffeine-induced energy last until lunch time, when you can replenish your fuel with a nutritious meal.
The recipe presented below can be simply described as spiced coffee that retains the coffee flavor but adds some much-needed nutrients. This is like a coffee smoothie. You can drink it cold or heat it gently on the stove while you prepare for work.
Here are the ingredients of this amazing spiced coffee. (We don’t need to mention the coffee part—that’s a given.)
- Coconut milk is a fantastic source of healthy fats, which are needed for the proper functioning of the brain. It also contains high amounts of magnesium, calcium, iron, zinc, potassium, copper, phosphorus, vitamin C, vitamin E, and vitamin K.
- Hemp protein is a complete protein, with 20 amino acids that our body needs for energy, growth, and repair. It also has high fiber content, which can help improve digestion. Like all plants, hemp is also a good source of vitamins, minerals, chlorophyll, and other phytonutrients.
- Dates will not only add sweetness, but a solid amount of fiber, copper, iron, potassium, vitamin A, and vitamin K as well.
- Cinnamon is a truly magnificent spice that can improve our health in many different ways. It is best known for its ability to speed up the metabolism, improve brain function, and regulate blood sugar levels.
- Cardamom is made from the seeds of several plants indigenous to south Asia. This savory spice is full of nutrients and has powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-depressant, antispasmodic, and antibacterial properties.
- Nutmeg is a spice derived from the seeds of the nutmeg tree. For centuries, this healing spice has been used for the treatment for everything from a toothache to muscle ache to digestive problems. Also, its high amount of flavonoid antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals can significantly improve the immune system.
Here is the recipe for our super coffee!
Cinnamon Spiced Coffee
Serves: 1 Pitcher for the week
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 4 cups coffee
- 1 cup vanilla hemp protein powder
- 10 dates
- 2 cups coconut milk
- First, brew coffee with spices.
- Then, add the coffee, coconut milk, dates, and hemp powder to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Store in refrigerator
- Drink a cup of the coffee each morning to wake up and boost your energy levels, without the crash. As mentioned above, you can either enjoy it cold or heat it a little bit on the stove.