With the specific flavor thanks to garlic, turmeric, and rosemary, as well as the creamy consistency of the puréed cauliflower and coconut milk, this soup is something that can really make your day.
What’s better, almost 90 percent of its content are veggies, which means that you will get a huge dose of important vitamins and minerals.
- Bacon and Spices
We start with bacon, a rich, fatty meat product. Then we have a mirepoix of carrots, celery, and onion, three superfoods that will provide both flavor and nutrients. After that comes the combination of pungent spices and herbs like turmeric, garlic, and rosemary.
The finish is reserved for a tablespoon of nutritional yeast, which will make the bacon chowder cheesy-like.
- Cauliflower and Coconut Milk
As we mentioned above, this bacon chowder owes its creamy texture to the puréed cauliflower and the mild-tasting coconut milk. The best way to make this soup is by using an immersion blender, as it allows you to purée the soup directly in the pot.
But, in case you don’t have an immersion blender, a blender or food processor will do the job. Just be careful when transferring and blending hot liquids.
The velvety of the soup is determined by the way in which you are puréeing it. If you are a fan of a silky smooth soup, then purée it until there aren’t any chunks left. But, if you want to follow our advice, then purée the soup about halfway. If you’re using a blender or a food processor, you should blend only half the soup, then stir in the puréed version back into the remaining soup.
This delicious soup is a great light lunch that will provide plenty of nutrients, but it is also a good dinner option when served with a salad, or roasted veggies.
Creamy Cauliflower Bacon Chowder Recipe
Total Time: 65 minutes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
- 4 pieces bacon
- 1 cup mirepoix (diced carrots, celery, and onion)
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1-quart chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: a little bit of extra virgin olive oil
- First, cook the bacon until crispy in a large stock pot (or Dutch oven). Remove from pan and set aside, reserving the bacon fat at the bottom.
- Add some extra virgin olive oil to the pan if necessary, then the mirepoix, spices, and herbs. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the cauliflower and chicken stock, stir until well combined, and simmer until the cauliflower is tender (for about 40 minutes).
- Stir in coconut milk. Use an immersion blender (or transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor) and purée until desired consistency is achieved.
- Chop the bacon and stir back into the soup.