Many people around the world are using elderberries to maintain good health during the cold winter days. While elderberry gummies and elderberry syrup are the most popular elderberry-based products, we offer something different. The recipe below is something that will provide extra soothing effects for a sore throat.
These elderberry popsicles will not only soothe an achy throat, but they will also provide a significant boost to the immune system.
The Amazing Flu Fighting Benefits of Elderberry
Elderberries can prevent flu better than flu shots due to their strong anti-viral properties. In one recent study, almost 90% of the people who were treated with elderberries achieved complete recovery from flu symptoms after only 3 days, while the people in the placebo group needed 6 days to get rid of the same symptoms.
Furthermore, another analysis of nine published and unpublished randomized clinical trials of the antiviral medication Tamiflu has shown that it can only shorten the length of flu symptoms by about a day. What’s even worse, this medication affects children more adversely than adults. Some of the side-effects that can be caused by Tamiflu include sudden confusion, hallucination, unusual behavior, or self-injury.
With no side effects and powerful healing properties, there is no doubt the Elderberries are the clear winners.
Other Soothing Ingredients
- Blueberries: They will not only increase the levels of vitamins C and K, and manganese in your body, but they will also give the popsicles a more intense berry flavor. In addition to this, blueberries are also full of antioxidants, which will help relieve coughing and prevent the sickness from turning into pneumonia.
- Raw Honey: It has powerful antibacterial properties that will help soothe sore throats more effectively than most medication.
- Grass-Fed Gelatin: Since there isn’t a lot of sugar and fat in the popsicles, the gelatin will help keep them from becoming rock hard ice bricks.
- Coconut Water: Its sweet taste is a big hit among kids, and it is a fantastic source of electrolytes and other important nutrients. Make sure to only use a brand that’s minimally processed and doesn’t contain any added sugar.
- Lemon Juice: The acidity of lemon is a perfect addition to the sweet flavors in this recipe. Also, the high levels of vitamin C in lemons will be very helpful in the fight against flu symptoms.
How to Make the Popsicles?
You will need:
- 3 T elderberries
- ¾ cup filtered water
- ½ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 T raw honey
- 1 T grass-fed gelatin
- 1 cups coconut water
- A juice of 1 lemon
- Add the elderberries and water to a small saucepan. Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat, and gently simmer for about 15 minutes.
- After that, strain the elderberries from the water with a fine mesh strainer. Make sure to squeeze the juice completely. Pour the elderberry tea into back into the clean saucepan.
- Next, sprinkle the gelatin over the elderberry tea and let it absorb for a few minutes. If your honey is too thick, wait a minute or two and add it after the gelatin has gelled a bit. Gently heat the mixture over very low heat, stirring slowly until everything is well combined and melty. It is very important not to overheat the mixture, otherwise, the honey will lose its health-boosting properties.
- Add the blueberries and coconut water to a blender and blend until smooth. Next, pour the coconut mixture and the rest of the ingredients into the elderberry mixture and stir until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into your favorite Popsicle molds and freeze until firm.