We are witnessing a change in the world of pizza in recent years. Ever since the introduction of cauliflower crust pizza, many people around the world have been taking a low carb, gluten free approach to enjoying their favorite foods. The recipe presented below is a new addition to this trend. We will not exaggerate by saying that this is an improved way of eating a delicious pizza.
Although a lot of people have been speculating about how good these cauliflower breadsticks are, the truth is that this alternative is simply delicious. By following the same approach to breadsticks (as many people have done with pizza), you will get a healthier option than the traditional breadsticks you have always enjoyed.
Use these ingredients and follow these simple instructions to make the best breadsticks ever.
- 4 cups of cauliflower “rice” (as explained in the directions below)
- 2 cups of Mozzarella cheese that has been shredded and divided
- 1 egg that has been slightly beaten
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1 tsp of dried basil
- ¼ tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of Italian Seasoning
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Wash the cauliflower and cut it into chunks (make sure to remove the core of the cauliflower first). Add the cauliflower chunks to a food processor and pulse until a “rice” consistency is achieved. The average-sized cauliflower should produce about 4 cups of cauliflower “rice”.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 inch of water until it boils. Then add the cauliflower rice, cover the lid, and let it steam for 4-5 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drain the cauliflower using a mesh strainer, and let it cool for few minutes. Then place the cauliflower “rice” into a dish towel and squeeze as hard as you can to remove any leftover water.
- Next, add the “rice” a large bowl, followed by a cup of mozzarella, egg, oregano, basil and salt.
- Stir the mixture until well combined.
- Then line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and spray it with a bit of cooking spray. Spoon the cauliflower “rice” onto the pan and form it into an 8 ½ x 11-inch rectangle using your hands.
- Place it in the oven for 35-40 minutes (or until the crust becomes golden brown and firm).
- Remove from oven and let it cool for few minutes. Then add the other cup of mozzarella and the ½ teaspoon of Italian seasoning, and place the pan back in the oven for additional 7-10 minutes (or until the cheese is melted).
- Cut the cauliflower crust into “breadsticks”, and serve with marinara sauce.