We are all made to believe that once we have a tooth decay, the only way to reverse it is by drilling, after which the cavity is filled with a synthetic compound.
However, a study published by the British Medical Journal says that tooth decay can be healed with diet.
For the purpose of this study, 62 children were split into 3 groups. The first group of children ate a traditional diet plus oatmeal (rich in phytic acid). The second group ate a traditional diet and supplemented with Vitamin D. The third group ate a grain-free diet and took Vitamin D supplement as well.
The results of the study have shown that the children in the first group had an increase in cavities. The second group experienced improvement in current tooth decay and less formation of new decay. The children in the last group, on the other hand, had the greatest dental improvement and nearly all of their cavities were healed.
What Causes Tooth Decay?
Weston Price, the founder of the National Dental Association, was known for his theories on the connection between nutrition, dental health, and physical health. After traveling the world at the beginning of the 20th century, Price found a link between modern food and tooth decay. The isolated indigenous tribes he visited had healthy teeth with little tooth decay. But, soon after they started to follow a western diet, they experienced bone loss, tooth decay, and chronic illnesses.
The 4 Causes of Tooth Decay!
According to a research conducted by Dr. Weston Price, Dr. Ramid Nagel, and Dr. Edward Mellanby, these are the main reasons why we experience tooth decay:
- High intake of processed sugar.
- High consumption of foods that are rich in phytic acid.
- Lack of magnesium, phosphorus, and calcium in your diet.
- Lack of vitamins A, D, E, and K in your diet.
How to Reverse Tooth Decay and Heal Cavities Naturally?
- Avoid Sugar
Oral bacteria feeds on sugar and prevents the flow of dental fluids. Sugar is one of the most acid-forming foods and has the ability to demineralize the structural makeup of our teeth, which can lead to tooth decay. Consuming raw honey or stevia in moderation are far better alternatives than sugar.
- Avoid Phytic Acid
Phylate can be simply described as a mineral blocker and an enzyme inhibitor that can cause serious health problems. It can be found in beans, grains, seeds, and nuts. In ancient times, the phytic acid was killed off by sourdough fermentation or by the sprouting, reducing phytic acid by 50-100 percent.
Almost 80 percent of phosphorus cannot be absorbed because it is bound to the phytic acid within the beans and grains in our modern western diet. These molecules bind minerals like magnesium, calcium, iron, and zinc, which are very important for our oral health. When we consume foods that are rich in phytic acid, the absorption of magnesium is decreased by a whopping 60 percent, while the absorption of zinc is decreased by 20 percent.
In addition to preventing the absorption of the minerals, phytic acid also steals the minerals from our bone, which could lead to osteoporosis.
How to Change Your Diet to Avoid Cavities?
- Raw dairy is rich in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and vitamins K2 and D3. Grass-fed butter and cheese are also good options.
- Eggs, bone broth, and fish should also be included into your diet.
- Eat one piece of fruit each morning.
- Enjoy the sunshine as often as possible to increase the levels of vitamin D in your body. You can also take vitamin D supplements.
- Avocado, olives, coconut oil, and fermented cod liver are all fantastic source of healthy fat.
- Try to avoid processed, packaged, and fast food as much as possible.
You Can Also Use Oil Pulling to Boost Your Oral Heath!
Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic technique that uses natural substances to clean and detoxify teeth and gums. Simply swish 1 tablespoon of an oil in your mouth for 20 minutes (we recommend you to use organic coconut oil).
Oil Pulling Instructions:
- The best time to oil pull is first thing in the morning.
- Swish for 20 minutes.
- Then spit out the oil into a trash can. Don’t pour the oil down the drain because it may clog it. Also, do not swallow the oil because it is full of harmful toxins.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Brush your teeth like normal. You can also use a homemade toothpaste like this one:
Magical Tooth Powder to Reverse Cavities Naturally
- 5 tbsps. calcium powder
- 4 tbsps. cold pressed, unrefined coconut oil
- 3 tbsps. xylitol
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp bentonite clay
- 1/2 tsp magnesium powder
- 20 drops of trace minerals
Instructions: Mix all ingredients in a small glass mason jar using a spoon. Cover.
NOTE: The coconut oil may need to be warned slightly to help mix the ingredients well.