This Avocado Basil Pesto is one of the tastiest vegan recipes! Avocado provides a nice creamy base, without taking away that rich basil flavor we all love. This sauce can be used on any pasta (or as a condiment on just about anything).
Did you know that Basil can destroy microbes found in or on your greens? In addition to this, basil is also rich in vitamins K, A, E, magnesium, manganese, iron, calcium and many other essential nutrients that help protect cell walls from free radical damage in the blood.
This amazing herb even helps improve blood flow and prevents cholesterol from oxidizing in the blood stream. When the cholesterol is not oxidizing, it doesn’t build up on blood vessel walls – which significantly reduces the risk of atherosclerosis and heart attack. As we mentioned above, basil also contains high amounts of magnesium, which improves blood flow and reduces the risk of irregular heart rhythms and cardiovascular spasms.
Here is the recipe for this super simple Basil Pesto, which proves that vegan food can be as creamy, rich, and tasty as food made with animal products.
Creamy Vegan Pesto Sauce
You will need:
- 1 avocado
- 12 large fresh basil leaves
- Juice from 4 large lemon slices
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A tiny pinch of chili spice
- 1-2 cups of cooked organic rice pasta (or spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, etc.)
- Cut the avocados and scoop out the insides into a bowl. Then, Mash the avocado up.
- Wash and chop the basil leaves.
- Add the mashed avocado, basil, and lemon juice to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Peel and finely chop or the garlic cloves
- Add the coconut oil in a medium frying pan and heat it up on medium heat.
- Sauté the garlic in the coconut oil.
- After that, add the avocado-basil-lemon mixture to the pan and reduce the heat.
- Add the chili, salt, pepper and chili powder, and mix evenly.
- You can serve the sauce with pasta of your choice or anything else (examples: as a condiment on sandwiches, as a dip). The amount in this recipe should be enough for a few cups of cooked pasta.