Regular marshmallows are full of sugar. For example, just a single marshmallow contains about 4 grams of sugar, while a cup of mini marshmallows has a whopping 29 grams of sugar, which is almost 10 grams more than the recommended daily intake of sugar.
As you probably know, high consumption of sugar greatly increases your overall calorie intake and leads to obesity. Moreover, most foods that are rich in sugar are usually low in nutrients. Many studies have shown that regular consumption of sugar is directly linked to many health problems, including:
- Some types of cancer, such as pancreatic cancer
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Elevated cholesterol levels
- Insulin resistance and even diabetes
- Dental problems like cavities
- Food addictions
Is there a better marshmallow option?
Luckily for us, there is a healthier recipe for marshmallows which will provide a sweet taste without the need to use harmful ingredients like sugar. This simple recipe will make you forget about store-bought marshmallows.
Healthy Marshmallow Recipe!
- 1/2 cup of cold water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of gelatin
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- Gently grease a loaf pan, cover with parchment paper, and then grease the paper.
- Pour ¼ cup of water in a medium bowl and sprinkle the gelatin. Leave the mixture aside to soften.
- Add the honey, salt, and the rest of the water in a small pot. Place over medium heat, cover the mixture and allow to cook for about 4 minutes. Then remove the lid and attach a candy thermometer to the pan with a clip. Continue to cook until the mixture reaches 240 degrees F (for about 7-8 minutes). Remove from heat as soon as it reaches this temperature.
- Using a hand mixer on low, carefully mix in the hot syrup into the gelatin mixture by pouring the hot syrup in a drizzle down the side of the bowl. Next, add the vanilla, increase the speed to high, and beat for 12 to 15 minutes in order to get a thick and fluffy mixture. Then, scrape into the prepared pan and let it sit uncovered for 4-12 hours to dry. Afterward, cut it into squares, and serve it.
- THE COCOA VERSION: Roll the marshmallows in cocoa powder.
- THE COCONUT VERSION: Toast ½ cup of unsweetened coconut flakes. Then, sprinkle ½ of it on the bottom of the pan, scrap in the marshmallow mixture, and sprinkle again with the other half of the coconut flakes.