This article presents a quite unusual cake recipe in which avocado is the key ingredient. This superfood is a replacement for both cake and eggs and will provide a good portion of healthy fat.
Here are just 5 reasons why avocado must become an important part of your diet:
- First, avocado is full of many nutrients – Vitamins A, C, K, B1, B2, B5, and B6, Magnesium, Iron, Folate, Copper, Phosphorous, Niacin, Manganese, and Zinc.
- Avocado is high in Potassium – Just 100 grams of an avocado serving contains 14% of the recommended daily intake of potassium. Many studies conducted in recent years have shown that a high potassium intake is associated with reduced blood pressure, which is a major risk factor for many serious health problems, including heart attacks, strokes, and kidney failure.
- It is rich in fiber, which will help you to lose weight and prevent blood sugar spikes.
- Regular consumption of avocado can also help lower Cholesterol and Triglyceride Levels.
- Reduce total cholesterol levels to a great extent.
- Increase HDL (the “good”) cholesterol by up to 11%.
- Lower LDL (the “bad) cholesterol by up to 22%.
- Reduce blood triglycerides by up to 20%.
- Avocado is also rich in the antioxidants Lutein and Zeaxanthin, both of which are essential for eye health and eyesight.
- Avocados consist of 73% water, 15% fat, 8.5% carbohydrates (mostly fibers) and 2% protein.
- 100 grams of Avocado contains 160 calories.
The high water content of avocado will make the treats softer, chewier, and less likely to crumble, while its high amounts of monounsaturated fats will make the cake texture creamy and smooth.
How to Use Avocado in Baking as an Egg or Butter Substitute?
- First, remove the skin and pit.
- Scoop it into a blender and blend until smooth. It is recommended to add about 2 teaspoons of lemon juice to each cup of avocado in order to prevent the avocado puree from turning brown.
- 1 cup of avocado for 1 cup of butter. You may need to increase other liquids as the avocado does not melt like butter.
- To replace the eggs in your baking, use 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup mashed avocado for each egg.
After learning more about avocado, the next logical step is to present you the recipe for one of the healthiest chocolate cakes.
Chocolate Cake with Avocado
- 3 cups of almond flour
- 5 tbsps. cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 ripe avocado (blend until smooth)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsps. apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tbsps. Maple Syrup
- 1 ½ cup raw cane sugar
- 2 ripe avocados (blend until smooth)
- 2 cups confection sugar
- 6 tbsps. cacao powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 2 x 9” round cake pans.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients (except sugar) in a large bowl.
- Add all of the wet ingredients in another bowl and mix until well combined. Then add the sugar.
- Next, pour wet mixture into dry mixture and mix until the batter smooth.
- Divide the cake batter between the two pans.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Mix all frosting ingredients in a bowl while the cake is baking.
- Let the cake cool for 15-20 minutes before frosting.