There is always a way to improve the diet, even for those who already have healthy eating habits.
Take yogurt for example. This delicious snack is a fantastic source of protein and probiotics, but unfortunately, it is still not a regular part of most people’s diet. That’s why we would like to remind about the health benefits of yogurt and to show you how easy you can make this super healthy food at your home.
- YOGURT AND PROBIOTICS
The main reason you should start to consume yogurt every day is the high amount of probiotics found in this food. As you probably know, probiotics are good bacteria that can kill bad bacteria and improve digestion.
Although store-bought yogurt is a good source of probiotics, we recommend you to make your own yogurt at home. The reason we support the homemade option is simple – you can use raw, organic milk and enjoy the highest possible amount of probiotics.
- Other HEALTH BENEFITS OF YOGURT
Many recent studies have shown that regular consumption of yogurt will significantly improve the gastrointestinal health and will strengthen the immune system.
When you choose yogurt as a snack, you will also get a big serving of numerous vitamins and minerals. These essential nutrients are even better when you make your own yogurt because you won’t have to worry whether your snack contains harmful chemicals.
How to make yogurt at home?
- 2 tbsps. of ready-made yogurt as starter (stick to organic, no-sugar-added varieties)
- 1 quart of raw, organic milk (goat milk is the best option)
- A food-grade thermometer
- 1 bath towel
- 1 quart-sized mason jar
- 1 ice cube tray
- A wire whisk
- An electric heating pad
- 4-quart saucepan
- Heat the milk in the saucepan, avoiding scorching. Let the milk to boil very slightly.
- Then, pour the milk into the mason jar and let it cool down to 110° (NOTE: use the thermometer)
- Stir the starter yogurt into the milk and seal the jar tightly.
- Wrap the jar in the heating pad and wrap it in the towel.
- Leave the jar in the turned-on heating pad for 8 to 10 hours.
- After that, remove the jar from the heating pad and place it in the fridge.
- Let the mixture sit overnight so that it forms the best possible yogurt texture. Stir in fruits or spices of your choice to enhance the flavor (NOTE: add spices and fruits to each individual serving to avoid contaminating the jar).