We all love a good salad. Most salads are so easy-to-make and whey you use the right ingredients, it’s hard for you to go wrong. Whenever people make mistakes when preparing salads, it’s mostly due to really calorie-dense dressing, or some not so good toppings.
That’s why today we will present a salad recipe which will show you how to make the right balance of sweet and savory. It contains some super healthy ingredients that will give your body all the nutrients it needs. It’s not an exaggeration to say that this is one of best salads you can imagine.
Why Makes This Salad So Special
There are numerous reasons why this fruit is good for you. For instance, mangos are packed with powerful antioxidant that will significantly reduce the risk of certain cancers, like breast cancer and colon cancer. They will also help improve your immune system and eye health, and reduce the levels of LDL (“bad”) cholesterol. The only downside of mango is that it is very sweet, so it is recommended to limit its intake. But, a few days here and there is perfectly fine.
Ginger is a healing spice that can improve your health in many ways. One of the main reasons why you should include ginger in your diet is its ability to fight chronic inflammation. In addition to this, this amazing spice is also highly effective at fighting and protecting against Alzheimer’s and cancer.
This herb is widely used in many different cultures and for many different dishes. Cooking with herbs always brings many health benefits, no matter what the meal is. Cilantro can be regarded as one of the most powerful herbs because it helps our bodies to remove harmful heavy metals from our system.
Mango Ginger Salad
For the Dressing:
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 tbsps. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsps. malt vinegar
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 1 fresh green Thai, serrano or small jalapeño chile, stemmed and finely chopped
- ⅛ tsp salt:
For the Salad
- 8 cups mesclun
- 1 large ripe, firm mango, peeled and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- To make the dressing, place raisins and boiling water in a small bowl, let them soften for about 30 minutes, and then drain the liquid. Transfer the raisins to a blender, followed by olive oil, malt vinegar, ginger cilantro, chile and salt, and blend until smooth. Set aside 1 tbsp. of the dressing.
- To prepare the salad, add the greens to a large bowl and toss with the remaining dressing. Divide among 6 plates. Then place mango and bell pepper in the bowl; add a tablespoon of the dressing and toss to coat. Top the greens with the delicious mango mixture and serve immediately.
You can eat this healthy salad on its own for a light lunch, or in combination with baked or steamed fish. Anyway, you will enjoy its taste and reap its benefits regardless of the way you eat it.