Have you ever wanted to make a cheesy quesadilla only to remember that you are vegan? Or you’re someone who can’t do dairy because you are lactose intolerant, have a milk protein, or have given up dairy for other reasons? But, you know what?! Luckily, you’re at the right place and the right time!!! Today we will present you a recipe for a tasty sweet potato quesadilla that will bring your taste buds to life! Let’s go!
SWEET POTATO ‘MINCE’
Sweet potato mince spiced with chili, cayenne, cumin, and lime juice. This delicious taco filling is so easy to make!
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 large sweet potato, grated
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of cayenne
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Fresh lime juice to taste
VEGAN QUESO CHEESE
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight)
- 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chili
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 – 1 cup of hot water
- 8 organic corn tortillas
- Sauté the onions and garlic in 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large pan set over medium heat until the onions are fully cooked.
- Add the grated sweet potato, cayenne, chili powder, and cumin and cook for about 10-11 minutes. Once the sweet potato becomes tender enough, add salt and pepper to taste and remove the filling from heat. Then, squeeze ½ a lime over the mixture and mix well.
- For the Vegan Queso – Add all ingredients (except water) to a blender (or food processor) and blend until smooth. Then gradually add in the hot water while processing to form a smooth mixture. Be careful not to make the mixture too runny
- To cook the quesadillas on the stovetop, heat 2 teaspoons of oil over medium heat in a large frypan. After that, fill the tortillas lightly with sweet potato filling and some Queso Cheese. Fold them in half and place into the heated frypan. Cook two at a time until golden (for about 2 minutes), then flip. Cook again until golden (about 2 more minutes). Repeat this with the remaining tortillas and Queso Cheese.
- Serve with fresh lime wedges, some salsa, and fresh cilantro!