Today we are going to revolutionize the chocolate cake. Since many doctors and health-conscious people have blacklisted sugar, flour, and even eggs, we believe that it’s high time to present an alternative. This “Coffee-Chocolate Vegan Cake with Chocolate Mascarpone Cheese Icing” uses ingredients like quinoa, millet, and buckwheat to make a filling and nutritious flour.
Plus, it doesn’t sacrifice its heavenly flavor. We have the sweetness of maple syrup, the freshness of lemon juice, and the richness of coconut oil to make a delicious cake that everyone will enjoy.
The Chocolate Mascarpone Cheese Icing doesn’t have any sugar content, yet it is still delicious and will satisfy even the most dominant cravings.
The only “downside” of this recipe is that it could prove to be slightly more challenging to make when compared to common cake recipes. But still, there is no reason to worry. Just follow the instructions and everything is going to be fine.
The Vegan Cake Recipe: Coffee Chocolate Cake
For The Cake:
- 2 tablespoons water + 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 2/3 cup (80g) cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (40g) buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup (35g) quinoa flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) millet flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Four tsp espresso beans
- 1/3 cup (65g) coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (60g) cocoa butter
- One apple (175g)
- 1/2 cup zucchini (100g)
- 2 tsp water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) maple syrup
For the frosting:
- 1 ½ cup coconut milk
- 6 tablespoons cashew butter
- 9 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Preparing the Chocolate Mascarpone Cheese Icing, and the Cake
- Boil 1 inch of water in a wide skillet.
- Then reduce the heat medium-low to bring the water to a simmer.
The Coconut Cream:
- Add coconut milk, cashew butter, cacao powder to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a heat resistant bowl.
- Put the bowl into the simmering skillet.
- Stir often until it bubbles consistently (20-23 minutes).
- Add the lemon juice to the cream as it becomes thicker.
- Take the bowl out and allow it to cool for 25 minutes.
Making Mascarpone Cheese Icing:
- Line a sieve with four layers of dampened cheesecloth.
- Cover a bowl with the cheese-cloth-sieve.
- Slowly pour the coconut cream into the cheese cloth (let it drip slowly).
- Cover with plastic wrap once it has gone through the sieve.
- Refrigerate the coconut cream overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F
The Flax “Egg”:
- Add a tablespoon of flax seeds and 2 tablespoons of water to a bowl, and stir until it turns into a gel.
The Vegan Cake Flour:
- In large mixing bowl, mix together 2/3 cups of cocoa powder, ¼ cup buckwheat powder, ¼ cup of quinoa powder, ¼ cup millet powder, ½ teaspoon sea salt, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, and four tsp of espresso beans until well combined.
The Oil mixture:
- Add coconut oil and cocoa butter to a pan and heat over low heat for a few minutes to turn it into liquid.
The Apple Liquid:
- Core your apple, and add it to a blender.
- Then add the oil mixture, ½ cup zucchini, 2 tsp water, 1 tsp ACV, and ½ cup of maple syrup, and blend until smooth.
- Get the vegan cake flour and its mixing bowl.
- Pour half of the apple liquid into the bowl, then add the flax “egg”.
- Stir the ingredients together using a spatula.
- Add the remaining apple liquid.
- Stir and fold it all together to make a cake batter.
The Vegan Cake
- Pour the batter into two separate round-6-inch cake tins, and bake for 35-40 minutes.
Putting it together:
- Once the cakes have cooled enough, remove them from their tins and place on a plate.
- Spread the Mascarpone Cheese Icing on top of one of the cakes until smooth
- Sandwich the cakes together, then spread more icing on top of the cake and around the sides.