For centuries, many people around the world have used black elderberries for the treatment of common health problems. The dried berries of the Sambucus Nigra plant are full of immune-boosting compounds that can help beat the cold and flu more quickly.
Although there are many different natural remedies that contain elderberries, in this article we will only present you the recipe for elderberry syrup, which has the strongest health-boosting properties
A Natural Remedy for Mild Colds and Flu?
Some recent studies have shown that black elderberries have the ability to prevent cold and flu and speed up recovery in those who already have them. This is because they are rich in many important vitamins such as A and C, which are known to stimulate the immune system.
In addition to this, Israeli researchers have recently discovered that the complex sugars found in the black elderberries can provide a significant boost to the immune system in the fight against cold and flu. They developed many different formulas based on these sugars that can effectively reduce the symptoms of cold and flu. In fact:
“Dr. Madeleine Mumcuoglu, of Hadassah-Hebrew University in Israel found that elderberry disarms the enzyme viruses use to penetrate healthy cells in the lining of the nose and throat. Taken before infection, it prevents infection. Taken after infection, it prevents spread of the virus through the respiratory tract. In a clinical trial, 20% of study subjects reported significant improvement within 24 hours, 70% by 48 hours, and 90% claimed complete cure in three days. In contrast, subjects receiving the placebo required 6 days to recover.”
The Recipe for Elderberry Syrup!
The following recipe is a combination of dried black elderberries and other super healthy ingredients such as ginger, cinnamon, and raw honey that will provide an extra immune boost.
You will need:
- ⅔ cup of dried black Elderberries (about 3 ounces)
- 3½ cups of water
- 1 cup of raw honey
- 2 tbsps. of fresh or dried ginger root
- 1 tsp of cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp of clove powder
- Pour the water into a saucepan and add Elderberries, cinnamon, ginger and clove powder.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover it and reduce to a simmer for about 45 minutes (until the liquid has reduced by almost half). After that, remove it from heat and let it cool for 10 minutes. The next step is to mash the berries carefully using a spoon, and then, pour the mixture into a bowl through a strainer.
- Discard the Elderberries and let the liquid cool until it becomes lukewarm. After that, add the honey and stir well.
- Then pour the syrup into a pint-sized mason jar, close the lid tightly, and store it in a fridge. You should use the remedy within 2 weeks.
- Kids: ½ teaspoon to 1 teaspoon daily.
- Adults: ½ tablespoon to 1 tablespoon daily.
- If you have a cold or flu, take the normal dose every 2-3 hours until the symptoms disappear.
Here is an infographic that will provide you with more information regarding Elderberry syrup:
Image Source: http://wellnessmama.com/1888/elderberry-syrup/