The thyroid is one of the largest endocrine glands in the human body. It is located in the anterior neck, above your collarbone. This important organ regulates our metabolism and controls the circulation of calcium levels in the body. Most people tend to ignore this gland until there is a major problem in its functioning. Imbalances in the production of thyroid hormones can cause some severe negative effects on the body.
Our thyroid gland is part of our endocrine system. The endocrine system is known for its unique delivery system, which is responsible for sending hormones to targeted organs and tissues. Essential oils can be very helpful because they use the same delivery system. There are some oils which are known for their ability to improve the functions of certain glands. Below you can find a list of such oils.
- Frankincense (boswellia frerena) is steam distilled oil that is derived from the Boswellia trees found in Oman. This fantastic essential oil can help improve the functions of the pineal, hypothalamus and pituitary gland.
- Sandalwood (santalum album) is steam distilled essential oil derived from the wood of the santalum trees grown in India. This oil stimulates the functioning of the pineal, hypothalamus and pituitary gland.
- Geranium (pelargonium graveolens) is steam distilled essential oil from the leaves of the pelargonium plant found in China. Geranium essential oil stimulates the adrenal gland.
- Ylang ylang (cananga odorata) is steam distilled with the flowers of ylang-ylang tree grown in Madagascar. This essential oil is incredibly supportive of the hormone/glandular, and adrenal gland.
- Clove (eugenia caryophyllata) essential oils obtained by steam distillation of the buds found in Madagascar have the ability to improve the function of the thyroid gland.
- Lemongrass (cymbopogon flexuosus) is derived from the steam distillation of the lemongrass leaves found in India. You can significantly improve the function of your thyroid by using the combination of lemongrass and clove essential oil.
- Rosemary (rosmarinus officinalis) is steam distilled oil derived from the leaves of the Rosemary, indigenous to Morocco. Besides glands, Rosemary essential oil can also improve the brain function.
- Myrrh (commiphora myrrha) is steam distilled essential oil obtained from the resin of the trees grown in Ethiopia. This oil is very helpful in improving your overall thyroid health. Moreover, it also provides support to the immune system.
- Basil (ocimum basilicum) is steam distilled oil derived from the basil leaves found in the USA. Basil essential oil stimulates the functions of adrenal, pancreas, parathyroid, pineal, and the pituitary gland.
Here are some of the best ways to use essential oils for thyroid health:
- Rub a drop of basil essential oil over the adrenal glands each morning.
- Rub a drop of myrrh essential oil (mixed with coconut oil) over your thyroid area each day.
Make a roller ball blend and use it daily on the bottom of your feet:
- 20 drops of basil essential oil
- 20 drops lemongrass essential oil
- 20 drops frankincense essential oil
- 20 drops myrrh essential oil
Top off the roller ball with any carrier oil (such as coconut oil).
Essential Oil Usage Tips:
- Topical use: Dilute the essential oils with a carrier oil in order to prevent sensitivity and avoid evaporation, then apply directly over the glands or to the corresponding reflex points on the feet
- Aromatic use: Pour 5-10 drops of selected oils into an essential oil diffuser.
Please consult a medical professional prior using essential oil on your own. You may be recommended to combine an oil in combination with certain modern treatment.