Today we will present you a recipe for a gluten-free dessert that doesn’t sacrifice flavor and richness. This easy-to-make recipe is a scrumptious combination of flavors and textures that come together to create a mouthwatering dessert. After all, it is impossible to imagine that a mistake can be made when you combine vegan brownies, cheesecake, walnuts and dark chocolate chips.
Everyone who has taken a bite of this amazing recipe couldn’t believe that it is gluten-free, vegan, and refined sugar-free.
Here are some of the substitutions that we used to make these amazing bars:
- Flax meal and water as a binder instead of egg
- Coconut oil instead of butter
- Almond meal and gluten-free flour instead of wheat flour
- Maple syrup and coconut sugar instead of refined sugar
- Cashews and tofu instead of cream cheese
Vegan Brownie Cheesecake Bars
Makes 9 squares
- 2 tbsps. flax seed meal
- 5 tbsps. water
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsps. dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for an hour and drained
- 1 cup coconut cream (from a can)
- 1 tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 8 ounces extra-firm silken tofu
- 1 tbsp. tapioca starch
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- juice from 1 lemon
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
Chocolate Swirl (Optional):
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
First of all, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8×8 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
To make the vegan brownie layer:
- Combine the flax meal and water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, coconut sugar, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add the flax/water mixture into the large bowl and mix again.
- Next, add the sea salt, cocoa powder, baking powder, gluten-free flour, and almond meal and mix until well incorporated using a spatula.
- Pour the batter into baking dish and smooth with spatula.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and chocolate chips.
To make the cheesecake layer:
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour cheesecake layer on top of brownie layer. Tilt pan to even out.
- For those who want to add chocolate swirl, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil over a double boiler. Pour the chocolate swirl over the batter and use a chopstick to create little figure 8 motions to swirl the chocolate into the cheesecake.
- Place in oven for 30 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake for another 20 minutes. The cheesecake layer should be slightly golden around the edges and slightly loose in the center (but not like liquid).
- Allow it to cool at room temperature for 20 minutes and then store it in the fridge for 6 hours (or overnight).
- Cut into squares the following morning and enjoy!