These coconut blueberry muffins are likely to become one of your favorite breakfast choices. They are tasty, nutrient-dense, grain-free, gluten-free, and have even retained the amazing texture which grain muffins are well known for. This easy-to-make recipe also uses maple syrup, an all-natural sweetener, as a substitute for white sugar.
What makes these muffins so special?
The best thing about these muffins is that they contain Free-range Eggs and Coconut Flour, two ingredients that cannot be found in any store-bought variety.
- The difference between Free-range Eggs vs. Caged Eggs
- Free-range eggs contain just 1/3 of the cholesterol of caged eggs. If you reduce your cholesterol intake, you will not only improve your cardiovascular health, but you can also achieve an ideal weight more easily.
- Free-range eggs have 25% more vitamin A than conventional (caged) eggs.
- They also have twice the amount of Omega 3s as caged eggs
- Coconut Flour – The Best Alternative
Coconut flour is always a great ingredient to use when making a gluten-free recipe. It is well known for its numerous health benefits, almost as many as we get from a coconut itself.
- Coconut flour is high in fiber and low in sugar and calories. It also has a low glycemic index, which means that it won’t raise your blood sugar levels. Regular consumption of coconut flour will even help reduce the overall impact of sugars from other foods.
- Coconut flour is rich in healthy saturated fats, which are known for their ability to boost energy levels and speed up the metabolism.
- Coconut flour can also help lower LDL (“bad”) cholesterol due to its high amounts of both soluble and insoluble fiber.
Coconut Blueberry Muffins
Serves: 6-12 small-medium sized muffins
Preparation time: 15–20 minutes
Cook time: 20–25 minutes
- 6 free range eggs
- 1/2 cup grade B maple syrup
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup wild blueberries
- 1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- Whisk together eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- Whisk in coconut flour.
- Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes (to thicken).
- Then add in blueberries and baking powder.
- Spoon into greased muffin tin.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.